The Healing Journey Online Course is for anyone interested in learning about Herbs, Ayurveda, Dreambody and Shamanism. It is a comprehensive course which herbal elder, Don Ollsin has created from nearly five decades of practicing and teaching lucid herbalism.
In this course you will learn about herbs, plant-spirit-medicine, ancient healing systems, the history and politics of herbalism and how to do holistic wellness consulting. You will be introduced to valuable life tools such as: learning styles, paradigms and process-oriented psychology. You will learn which herbs to study, how to make your own medicines and how to apply your knowledge to help others.
After completing this course you will be eligible to apply for the Herbal Mentorship Collective, which prepares you to successfully practice doing herbal consultations and\or become a registered herbalist with the AHG.
If you’re like many of the people we work with, you see plants not only as beings that give us oxygen, shelter, clothing, fibre, beauty and delicious food but also as something more - maybe as teachers that bring us much needed healing and give us lessons about how to live. Even if you don’t believe in plant devas, you kind of like the idea and believe that plants are not only alive but sentient and can communicate with us. You believe that working with plants and the natural environment is intimately connected with deeper emotional, psychological and spiritual healing.
And so you’re drawn to learn more about how to work with the plants.
We might resonate and get along because...
- You love the idea of belonging to a Herbal Collective
- You would rather use plant-based medicine when possible because you are cautious of pharmaceuticals
- You feel that psychology without the support of nature is not enough for deep healing
- The idea that things like dream work, shamanism, psychological healing work and plants work well together is not a strange idea for you. For you it’s ‘of course they do!’ (even if you couldn’t articulate why).
- A part of you has often felt that dis-ease isn’t something that happens to an individual as an isolated event that we need to fix but that, maybe, disease is relational (that our relationship to our food, job, the place we live, our lifestyle or the core people in our life play a profound role in our health. That sometimes it’s not what’s wrong with us but who is wrong with us).
- You also suspect that disease may, ultimately, be about being disconnected from plants, the seasons and the elements.
- You like the idea of focusing on enhancing our life, rather than being obsessed with constantly solving our problems.
- You are a strong-spirited individual who wants to empower herself with practical, empirical knowledge.
- You want to share your passion for healing with others.
- You care deeply about Mother Earth and you want to help heal her.
- You are innovative and you want to collaborate with other students in the development of an important body of healing knowledge for future generations.
- You want to learn from an elder who walks his talk and is willing to share the teachings he has gathered from a life dedicated to learning and healing.
- You are cautious about the reductionist approach to medicine. You question herb schools that only focus on medical herbalism. You want to learn a systems view to herbalism.
Because, we imagine that you want to…..
- Have the knowledge to learn which herbs are proven safe and effective.
- Learn a proven system that informs you about wise choices for your health, lifestyle, herbs, food, exercise, relationships and even vocation.
- Create a healthy lifestyle based on the seasons.
- Personally experience the effectiveness of the herbs, knowledge, tools and techniques that you are learning.
- Heal yourself while learning how to heal others.
Welcome to the 12 Week- Healing Journey Online Intensive by Don Ollsin
The Healing Journey Online Course is a dynamic, process-oriented, open system. Being open it responds to feedback from the students. A metaphor for this course could be a journey, a path, or a container. It provides the path for professional development, the foundations of training to become an herbalist, and for many it is a self-healing process. The course is unique and comes with the guidance, mentorship and support of an herbal elder who will help you on your journey of self-discovery and healing. You will connect with other students and Don during 12 weekly live webinars as you work through the modules.
Don Ollsin will be a mentor to you on your healing journey.
This Course Includes:
- 12 weekly webinars with Don and the students
- Professional videos of Don teaching
- Assignments and quizzes
- Video and audio lectures
- Resources page
- Articles, Reading Lists, Websites
- Private dedicate network for the group (not Facebook).
What you will gain from this program:
- Basic knowledge of herbs and their affect on the body through the extracellular matrix
- How to make your own medicines
- The basics of Ayurveda and how to balance the doshas
- Learning tools for successful online learning
- Communication skills through Dreambody and Shamanism
- An introduction to Wellness Consulting
- The development of your own Materia Medica
- Relationships with other like-minded students
- A solid foundation to begin your career in healing
- Eligibility to apply for the Herbal Mentorship Collective
The Course Outline
The Body - Plant Medicine
In these modules we cover: herbs, medicine making, botany, herbal history, herbal politics, materia medica and herbs for body systems
- Are you confident that you have a solid knowledge of key herbs and their uses?
- How do you decide which herbs to study?
- How do you choose which herbs to use for yourself, your family, friends and clients?
- How do you prepare, administer and apply the herbs?
- What is plant-spirit medicine?
- What is an herbal ally?
- How did pharmaceutical medicine become the dominant medical practice?
- Are herbs enough?
IN THIS SECTION:
- We will explore the numinous quality of herbs.
- Learn about herbs that grow in the wild and those found in an apothecary garden.
- We will plan our own natural pharmacy garden.
- Learn about important herbs that nourish our bodies.
- Discover which herbs to use to help bring about desirable changes in the body.
- We will cover wildcrafting and introduce you to United Plant Savers.
- You will learn about the importance of probiotics. Without healthy bacteria in our bodies we cannot receive the optimum benefits from herbs or foods. You will also learn about propolis, Don's favourite natural remedy.
- During this module you will learn about creating a materia medica. You will also learn about the various properties of herbs. We will look at the western language of herbs, in the sense of their properties.
Creating and using herbal medicines and remedies is an art that has to be learned from an expert teacher. Our herbal medicine-making module provides you with an opportunity to learn from an expert and teaches you the following skills:
- Making herbal preparations such as: Tinctures, Infusions, Decoctions, Oils, Salves, Poultices, Syrups, Homemade Kefir, Smudges, etc.
- Terminology associated with herbal medicine making
- Equipment required
- Proper drying, storing and use of herbs
- Correct application of herbal preparations
- Using a Menstrum Ratio Table to make tinctures
This module enables you to make your favorite herbal remedies that you can trust completely. It provides you with a new skill and a way to apply your knowledge by sharing or selling your unique preparations.
EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX & BODY SYSTEMS
In this module we will go over herbs and other modalities that we use for healing. The extracellular matrix (ECM) is the non-cellular component present within all tissues and organs, and provides not only essential physical scaffolding for the cellular constituents but also initiates crucial bio-chemical and bio-mechanical cues that are required for tissue morphogenesis, differentiation and homeostasis. It is the environment for the cells. You will learn how all body systems feed into the matrix.
The Mind - Learning
LEARNING HOW TO LEARN
In this module we explain how to learn and what practices to focus on to get the most from your learning
- Have you been taught the best practices to make your learning stick?
- How do you study?
- What are the best practices to get the most out of your studies?
IN THIS SECTION:
- We cover Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and the Flow Paradigm: Awareness of our challenges and our skills to meet them is the essence of flow. We set the bar too low and we are bored, too high and we are stressed.
- Types of Learning: Experiential learning is the model that this program embraces.
- What are your Learning Styles: Knowledge of your learning style may improve your learning and joy of learning.
- Mind mapping: Don is an avid mind mapper who has created thousands of mind maps with and without the computer. A number of his students who are doing university degrees or other programs at the same time that they are studying with him, find that their grades substantially improve through the use of mind mapping.
PARADIGMS, METAPHORS & SYSTEMS
In this module we cover the power of paradigms and how they shape our worldview. We look at the metaphors we live by. We will also explore the systems view of life.
- Do you know that allopathic medicine is a linear paradigm based on three-hundred- year-old Cartesian thinking?
- Do you think of your body as a machine?
- What metaphor or metaphors do you live your life by?
- Do you live in a reductionist or holistic paradigm?
- Do you think most diseases have a single cause?
- Do you believe that deep transformational healing be achieved through pills?
IN THIS SECTION:
- We cover the power of life metaphors: for example. juggling balls as a life metaphor is very stressful compared to a life metaphor of a tree.
- Learn Systems Thinking: This truly is a detox from a potentially damaging linear paradigm of reductionism. The deeper that we understand systems and are able to communicate systems thinking, the better herbalists we will be.
- We look at Paradigms: If we do not understand the paradigms that we are using and living, we are unaware how they shape our life. Paradigms are only consensual reality constructs but they deeply shape our thinking and perceptions.
"A paradigm is what you think before you start thinking"
The Spirit - Dreaming
DREAMBODY AND SHAMANISM
- Do you think that dreaming only happens at night?
- How is a symptom a body dream?
- How many channels or paths can dreaming communicate through?
IN THIS SECTION:
- We explore Dreambody and learn how dreaming communicates through the nine pathways.
- Your body has dreams just as your mind has. It dreams all the time. By paying attention to your body's dreams, you experience better health and a greater sense of aliveness. This fascinating study is about what our dreaming bodies are trying to communicate about how we are living and the direction we are taking in the material world. On tis path you will learn the healing wisdom that will help you to weave the material world and dreamworld together, hopefully providing you with an experience of an increased sense of wholeness and health.
- We will use Shamanism to find our herbal allies, plants which we can develop a deep relationship with, to enhance our healing.
The Elements - Earth, Air, Fire & Water
- Do you know how the seasons, the times of the day, and the cycles affect the quality of your life?
- What is the best time to administer medicine based on the organ or body system you want to affect?
- How can you find out if you are predominately a fire, water or air constitution, or maybe a blend?
- What is the best way to treat an air, fire or water person when they are out of balance?
- How does excess air, fire or water manifest when it is out of balance?
IN THIS SECTION:
During this module you will learn about Ayurveda, the world's first medical system, which is a science that considers the relationship of body processes, the outside environment, diet and emotional health. Illness is seen as an "imbalance;" which can be restored through natural treatment using meditation, herbs and cleansing. Ayurveda is an ancient, complex system of medicine. The profound healing wisdom of Ayurveda originated in the ancient culture of India and is thought to be the oldest natural healing system, preceding even Chinese medicine.
The word "Ayurveda;" means "knowledge of life;" in Sanskrit. Over five thousand years ago the ancient seers of India imparted to their disciples the truths they learned about the Universe while in a supra-mental state of meditation. This knowledge exists today in text written in Sanskrit, and contains the secrets of the interaction of body, mind and soul within the context of the fundamental elements of Nature and the Universe. It is a practical, all-encompassing science which embraces the whole person in relation to the outside world.
Within their framework, the Seers recognized two main truths:
1. That everything that exists in the external universe has its counterpart in the internal universe of the human body.
2. That air, fire and water are the three elements most fundamental to life (here they took air to include air and ether, fire to include fire and water, and water to include water and earth.)
At the heart of Ayurveda medicine is the concept that the elements are represented in the human body through Doshas (pronounced Doe-sha). As you will see when you complete this module, you are predominantly either a Vata, Pitta or Kapha dosha (or combination of any of these). Respectively, the Sanskrit words Vata, Pitta and Kapha mean Air, Fire and Water.
During this module you will learn how to conduct a thorough herbal consultation. The goal of this module is to understand the consultation process and all that is involved in an holistic herbal consultation.
- How do you conduct a consultation to help a person become more aware of what creates health and what causes disease?
- What are the best herbs to use for the symptoms presented, that do not upset the person's dosha?
- What does a client's relationship(s) have to do with their body symptoms?
- How do you read feedback and know whether your client is responding positively or negatively to your questions and suggestions?
IN THIS SECTION:
- We explore all aspects of a person and what contributes to their symptoms - i.e.: lifestyle, relationships, work, environment, their spirit and how they nourish themselves.
- We determine which herbs are best suited to each client, based on the latest scientific research, and Don's decades of practice and research, as well as the consulting and Materia Medica work from mentees in the Herbal Mentorship Collective.
- We use Ayurveda to ascertain a client's dosha and how to balance any imbalances, proper application and dosage based on their constitution.
- We use Dreambody to look at the dreaming process behind any symptom and how it manifests in different areas of their life. We learn to read feedback.
- We use Shamanism to help clients find their herbal allies, plants which they can develop a deep relationship with, to enhance their healing.
After completing all of these modules you will be eligible to apply for the Herbal Mentorship Collective.
In the collective you can further your studies and/or work towards becoming a registered herbalist (R.H.) with The American Herbalists Guild (AHG).
Cost: Pay in Full: $497.00
Payment plan: $197\Month for 3 months
We are excepting applications for the fall course now.